December 2, 2013

Stamping Study Hall: Creative Color, Day 1

I am absolutely thrilled to kick off this fun event today...
class one Creative Color
For the next two weeks, I will be sharing this free online class focusing on Creative Color and featuring ShinHan art Touch Twin markers.  I first saw these markers used on Dina Kowal's blog and after seeing the artistic look she achieved I just had to give them a try! Well, I love them and am thrilled to feature them this week.  Here's a look at the class "syllabus."
Monday, December 2: Introducing Touch Twin Markers
Wednesday, December 4: Color Inspiration
Friday, December 6: Bold Color Combos
Monday, December 9: Colorful Characters
Wednesday, December 11: Floral and Nature Images
Friday, December 13: Bonus Techniques
So whether you are looking for Christmas card ideas, coloring techniques with alcohol-based markers, or just love videos, I hope you'll pop by for a visit and leave inspired. :)
Day 1
ShinHan Art Touch Twin markers are an alcohol- based marker, refillable, and have replaceable nibs.  They are sold for approximately $4.30 per marker for the Touch Twin Brush and $3.40 per marker for Touch Twin Fine Point.  I would definitely recommend these markers whether you already have started a collection of alcohol-based markers (they will work with other alcohol-based markers that are on the market) or are thinking of starting one.  Here are some of my favorite things about them...
*They come in TONS of colors. Over 200 to be exact.  You can also purchase them in sets which can make it easier when first starting a collection.
*The ergonomic barrel is very comfortable for me when coloring.  I often color for long periods of time (and I color A LOT) so this is important for me.
*The ink flow allows for good control.  There is no over saturation which also means the markers last a long time before needing a refill. (I haven't had to refill any at this point.)
*These markers are very easy to blend.  While they are labeled by color family and intensity, I did not feel like I was tied into specific color families.  I could get a smooth blended look without worrying about matching up numbers and letters.  This makes them easy for a beginner and also versatile when you want to mix your own colors.
So without further ado, here's a look at today's card.
IMG_1186
Today's video will demonstrate my preferred technique for blending with these markers. I also often use this technique with other mediums, so if you are playing along, don't feel limited if you don't have the Touch Twin markers.
IMG_1187


(Watch directly on YouTube HERE.)

As I mentioned in the video, I have created a Color Reference Chart with some of my favorite combos.
color chart
You can download my chart by clicking HERE.  A google search will also reveal several other charts if you are looking for additional color ideas.
Thanks for visiting today! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me via email and/or Facebook. I find those avenues the easiest for responding to questions and comments.
SUPPLIES
Touch Twin Markers: R15, R10, R16, R140; YR33; Black 120
Penny Black Stamp(s): 40-075 Christmas Pride
Penny Black Creative Dies: Leaves
Ink(s): Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress (Gathered Twigs)
Other: Pearls
ADDITIONAL LINKS