October 18, 2012

Mixed Media Mash Up

Okay, my friends, I can't tell you how excited I am to share today's post.  This was truly one of my favorite collaborations and it absolutely stretched me out of my comfort zone in creating.  You know when you first started stamping and you felt giddy as you made your first card? Well, that's how I felt as I created this project. :)
 
So without further ado, here we go! 
Fellow Penny Black Designer  Elizabeth Allan and I have teamed up for a collaborative art challenge!We both share a love of stamping as well as mixed media collage art so it was only natural for us to combine the two in a “Mixed Media Mash Up”. 
 
Before beginning, we decided to incorporate these five elements into our projects:


1. Focal point created with a rubber stamp.
2. Media Base: Wood Board (3/4" x 5 1/2" x 12")
3. Text paper from a book.
4. Texture created with stamping (We agreed to use at least these three sets-- Crystalline 30-018, Salutations 30-014, Pointille 3860J)
5. Penny Black Cardstock or Madison Designer Paper
 
Here are the details...

 
Mash Up Element One: Focal point created with a rubber stamp.
For my focal point, I used Penny Black 40-091 Victorian Homes illustrated by Mo Manning and 30-035 ...In a Pear Tree.
____________________
 
Mash Up Element Two: Media Base--Wood Board (3/4" x 5 1/2" x 12")
As opposed to a canvas, a wooden media base allows for easier stamping.  Plus, it's much more cost effective.  Thanks, dad, for cutting my board for me! :)
 
 
 
____________________
Shared Element Three: Text paper from a book.
I covered my board with text paper (nothing fancy, just pages torn out from an old novel) and I also used it for the doors of my houses.
 

_____________________
Shared Element Four: Texture created with stamping  (We agreed to use at least these three Penny Black sets-- Crystalline 30-018, Salutations 30-014, Pointille 3860J) 
I also used Penny Black 40-139 A Flight of Thread as I love the textural pattern in this image.
____________________
Shared Element Five: Penny Black Cardstock or Madison Designer Paper
 I wanted a little less detail to the houses so I cut rectangles from the polka dot Madison papers to cover bottom of the house images.  I also used Madison Designer Paper for the sun. 
___________________
This project used so many different types of media including Mod Podge, gesso, acrylic paints, tons of Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft product, and Ranger archival black ink to name a few.  All stamps used are by Penny Black.
 
And now here's the really fun part!! Be sure to pop over to Elizabeth's blog by clicking HERE to see what she created using these same five elements.  It's so fun to see how different each of our projects turned out.  Here's a little peek at the magic Elizabeth worked on her Mixed Media Mash Up creation....

19 comments :

Dawn T said...

totally awesome Jill. So much to view. I bet you really had fun making this piece of artwork. So inspiring.

Joy said...

Oh my Jill this is so awesome and exciting...I love what you created...and I can see how much fun you had...love it and you need to share more in a video :) Hugs

Moccavanila by Vera Rhuhay said...

Wow..this is so inspiring,Jill!
Love...Love this so much!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love your inspiring mixed media art! Inspires me to try it!

Lin said...

What a great challenge you and Elizabeth shared! I'm loving that mixed media pieces are beginning to show up more now l- have never tried one, but you 2 are pushing me closer! Love what you did, Jill!

Barb said...

How fun that you and Elizabeth "mashed it up" together, Jill! Your piece is fabulous - so full of color and creativity! Awesome work from both of you!

Cathy A said...

Wow stunning project Jill, love how you incorporated all the elements, off to see what e has created now!

Diane Jaquay said...

FABULOUS!!! I've just started delving into mixed media and you've inspired me greatly today with your work!!!

alexandra s.m. said...

Wow! I just LOVE LOVE your project Jill.
I just saw Elizabeth. You are two amazing artists!!
so inspiring ;-)

Thank You!

glorygirl said...

INCREDIBLE!!!! Thank you for sharing how you created this. Beautiful and amazing!

Sarpreet said...

This is stunning, i love the colours. so beautiful and unique.

It has been a while since i have been on your blog, i have had so much stuff happen this year with the loss of my mum. I hope to be back here regularly. I always look forward to your posts.

shirley-bee said...

Fabulous inspiration, Jill!

Karen K. said...

So totally inspiring! Would also love to see a video of the process. I've never tried a mixed media project like this, but it always fascinates me :)I guess I'm a little overwhelmed by it :\

Elizabeth Allan said...

I LOVE your piece Jill!! It was so much fun teaming up for this art collaboration. Your colors are amazing and your ideas are so creative! I can't wait to do this again with you!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love it and it's obvious that you do too! I would also love to see a video of the process.

annemarks said...

So beautiful and colourful, and so inspiring :)

Peggy H said...

You know i'm going to try this right! TOO CUTE. Love the one with the birds in your workspace pictures. :) hugs

Greta said...

You both amaze me with your talent & creativity! So much to look at here--all I can say is WOW!

Willow and Wattle said...

I just found your blog from the faber castell site. This canvas is just amazing! I love it, so inspirational. I'm just getting back into my art work after having given it up for a very long time, and can't stop looking at this! LOL!

Also *just* started art journaling (literally did my first page yesterday) and I know your blog will be more than helpful with inspiration for that also!.