January 17, 2011

Inspired by...Dina Wakley

I am over-the-moon excited to announce that this week's featured artist is none other than the incredibly talented Dina Wakley. Dina has amazing style and incredible color in all of her charming and artsy scrapbook pages and art journal creations. Be sure to check out her fun style on her blog, Ponderings. Here's our first inspiration piece by Dina: Don't you just want to frame this and hang it up in your home?? Oh man, I do!! I love the rich texture and gooey paint layers. And the colors- DIVINE! Finally, the touches of black script just finish off this stunning piece of art.
Here is my take:

This card started entirely as white cardstock. The Hero Arts Friends Background was stamped with black ink on white cardstock and then colored using Walnut Stain Distress Ink. This background was then splattered (yep- such fun to make a mess!) with watered down acrylic paint. The teal background was created by distressing white cardstock with Broken China and Peeled Paint Distress Ink. Next, I stamped this with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink and the new Hero Arts Envelope Pattern. Finally, the red and orange panel was covered with Rusty Hinge and Fired Brick Distress Ink then flicked with water to create the water spots.
Thanks for stopping by! See you tomorrow with another stunning piece of art by Dina. :)
All Stamps Hero Arts: CL153, CG125, S5507

34 comments :

Wendy ten Hove said...

Hi Jill,

This is gorgeous! Both Dina's and yours, love them! The colors are really pretty and it's lovely that you can make a bit of a mess and then with these amazing results!! ;-)

Hugs, Wendy

Sarah J Moerman said...

Wow! Your card is a work of ART! Gorgeous!

~amy~ said...

Such a fab inspiration piece and I LOVE what you did...the spatters of paint are wonderfully fun!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love the colors and the splatters!

slbt17 said...

amazing ... love your background, love your colors ... amazing!
Sandra ltb

joy said...

Dina rocks! But you, Jill, have mastered turning white cardstock into anything you decide to do! Love Dina's page; adore your card.

Kelly Rasmussen said...

gorgeous card jill (it looks very familiar)! ;)

Anonymous said...

Amazing colors! I love it! I love how you can take a piece of white card stock and turn into a work of art! I love your blog... check it everyday for inspiration!

Barbara said...

Love both of these! It's so much fun to create you own background sometimes and you have mastered the art of it. Love Dina's style as well!

Julie S said...

Wow, that's beautiful! White cardstock - amazing.

Barb said...

Fabulous colors today, Jill! What a gorgeous feast for the eyes from both you and Dina! I'm looking forward to the rest of the week!

Rachel Izakowicz said...

This is so beautiful. The colors are just stunning & all your inking techniques are amazing. I always find when I use a lot of ink/water spritzing my paper gets wrinkled - does this happen to you?

Ayana Posadas said...

Gorgeous work, Jill! I love those colors.

Dina said...

Oh. My....your card is incredible!!! Love it, your work is great. Yes, we need to meet "IRL" one day! :)

Tona said...

Fantastic card! Those splatters were the perfect touch.

Unknown said...

I love your card - fabulous take on the inspiration! I wonder - what kind of card stock do you use? For the life of me I can't get my colors as rich or as full coverage...

donna mikasa said...

Gorgeous take on Dina's card! I love those splatters and your distressing is awesome as always!

Unknown said...

I love your card! Love the color splattered and it's hard to believe this started out as a white background!!!

Virginia L. said...

Amazing distressing! Love this, Jill!

Tiff said...

Dina is one of my favorite artists!!!! Jill, your take on her journal entry is GORGEOUS!

Mendi Yoshikawa said...

Man! I am always amazed at what you can do and invision with white cardstock! :)

margaretart said...

Just a bright start to MY day! Loved Dina's piece, and how it inspired you, too. Beautiful!

Agata said...

Totally amazing!!! Thanks for all the details!

Irene said...

Wow! Beautiful work!

Conniecrafter said...

pretty colors and like the artistic look you gave to it

Unknown said...

That is really really amazing what you did with just white cardstock!!! Awesome!

alexandra s.m. said...

simply stunning! and so inspiring!!
TFS Jill

Anita Rex said...

So pretty! And love Dina's! I could look at it all day!

Tee said...

simply stunning card..I love the pop of the two butterflies...I could sit and look at your cards all day and never get tired of it!!

Anonymous said...

Jill all your cards this week have been absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see more :)

Creative Tara said...

Fabulous! Can't wait to see what else the week brings- great colours and textures, so pretty and yummy and distressy ;)

Sue McRae said...

Beautiful Jill and love the splattering!

Anne said...

Both of these are just amazing- love the rich colors and it's hard to believe you started out with just plain white cardstock Jill!

Alice said...

both projects are amazing. wow!